I have always disliked green smoothies. For some reason, the addition of greens into my blended drinks has never worked out. I’ve tried using spinach, kale, and all other leafy greens, but always, the green taste lingers. Now, there’s definitely been some green smoothie recipes by some of my favorite bloggers that have been significantly better. Since I’ve never been able to make my own successfully, I’ve always relied on other recipes to get my green smoothie fix.
But after several years of copying other people’s recipes, I finally realized the various keys to a great green smoothie. It’s got to be sweet, creamy, and refreshing.
The idea behind any delicious green smoothie is that you’re not supposed to taste the green ingredient inside. Various other ingredients mask the taste of spinach, kale, or whatever green you put inside because let’s be honest, who wants to taste pureed spinach in their smoothie? Yeah..not me.
Also, if you’re going to be drinking a green smoothie, you want to pack as many nutrients as you can in that bad boy. The good thing is that you can get an enormous amount of nutrients from a smoothie, with the right ingredients. With proper food combining and a little creativity, you can create a green smoothie that will give you a ton of energy, fill you up, and provide you with a good amount of the vitamins and minerals you need each day!
I’ve found that there are a few key points to a great green smoothie…
- If you don’t have a high powered blender, blend your greens and your liquid FIRST. This will protect you from chunks of greens in your smoothie. Gross.
- Never make the greens more than 50% of your smoothie. There’s a delicate equilibrium when trying to hide the taste of green, so give yourself the best possible chances by not overloading on the green.
- Use RIPE fruit in your smoothie. The sweeter, the better. This will mask the green taste and add sweetness naturally.
Follow these steps, and you’re off to a great start! To get you started, I’m going to give you the recipe of MY favorite green smoothie. It’s been mom-tested and approved, so I think we have a winner.
- 1 cup ice
- 1½ cups juice of choice
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ scoop vegan protein powder
- 3 handfuls spinach or kale
- ½ peeled cucumber
- Throw everything in a blender and blend away. It's literally that easy.
I drink this in the morning, the afternoon, and the evening. I drink this post and pre-workout. It’s perfect for any time and any occasion. Enjoy!